What can cause a blood vessel to burst in eye?

Several things. High blood pressure and trauma are among the more common causes of a burst blood vessel in the eye. This can be brought on by something as benign as a sneeze or a cough although heavy lifting and vomiting can also play a role. Chronic high blood pressure can predispose you to this as can blood-thinning medications such as Aspirin and Coumadin (warfarin) and certain herbal supplements such as ginkgo.
Strain or cough. But often will occur for no known reason. Also sometimes caused by blood thinners.