Is it normal for doc to give Aleve (naproxen) for TMJ arthritis pain that's severe? My doc refused stronger mess even though i told him nsaids don't help.

In brief: Get to the source

Meds often mask the true source of the problem or the trigger points that are causing your pain.
Many of my new patients come into my office already heavily medicated (anti-depressants, pain meds, anti-anxiety, muscle relaxers;) with no real solution to solving their constant pain problems. You should have a thorough exam and evaluation.

In brief: Get to the source

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman

In brief: Judgement call

Tmj arthritis is usually managed by nsaids.
Narcotics are a judgement call of the doc due to the addictive nature of narcotics. Your doc may not be prescribing narcotic pain med because he/she may think that you have a potential to abuse. You may want to seek another opinion or see and oral surgeon or TMJ specialist for cortisone injections.

In brief: Judgement call

Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Yes, but

Yes, but better to have your TMD managed by a TMJ specialist who can use a variety of treatment methods.
Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

In brief: Yes, but

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia

Aleve (naproxen sodium) is a strong anti- inflammatory that can help are muscles in the area of tmj.
You may need to see another doctor for a second opinion. Most young patients of mine with TMJ have a history of grinding or clenching teeth when sleeping! usually this corrected with a special night guard made by a dentist.

Dr. Fernando Juliao
Dr. Fernando Juliao

In brief: Other options

There may be some other options.
If there are no other options offered and they are not working i would suggest seeing a dentist who specializes in TMJ diagnosis and treatment. A local dentist can be found at www.Aaop.Org or www.Aacfp.Org.

In brief: Other options

There may be some other options.
Dr. John Van der Werff
Dr. John Van der Werff
Dr. Vikram Patel