How do I get rid of those dark purple circles around my eyes?

Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Decongestants

The blood from the face drains alongside the nose as it flows back to the heart; if there is a lot of nasal congestion, this puts pressure on the veins, and the blood backs up.
The skin under the eyes is so thin that you can actually see this pooling of blood. Relieving the congestion opens up the blood flow, and the dark circles go away. See an allergist if otc decongestants don't help.

In brief: Decongestants

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Also a little plasma may leak out of those veins resulting in swelling of the lower eyelids & upper cheeks. OTC antihistamines do not work on congestion. Nasalcrom may help. Prescription nasal sprays both antihistamine & corticosteroid effectively reduce congestion, excess blood flow, & as a result the dark, swollen circles under your eyes that are called ALLERGIC SHINERS.
Dr. Samuel Gubernick

In brief: Infraorbital shiners

Anything that can cause nasal congestion can cause the dark circles under your eyes.
The answer is to find and treat the underlying cause - allergc rhinitis, non-allergic rhinitis, etc. This is the bread and butter of what an allergist does.

In brief: Infraorbital shiners

Dr. Samuel Gubernick
Dr. Samuel Gubernick
Dr. Cornelia Franz
When I see "shiners" the first thing I think of is allergies...especially food allergies. Being evaluated is helpful.
Dr. Arnon Rubin