The area around my eyes feel sunburned but it isn't. What could be wrong?

Allergies. Patients with allergies can develop scaly, red and itchy skin around the eyes and on the eyelids from allergies. This skin condition is called allergic dermatitis or allergic eczema. You can use a hypoallergenic cream/lotion: cetaphil or lubriderm and consider contacting your medical doctor about taking allergy pills-such as Claritin (loratadine) or allegra.