I have not been able to sleep, what should I do to fix my insomnia?

Dr. John Moranville

In brief: Sleep hygeine

The most important thing is to maintain a scheduled time for going to bed, get enough exercise during the day, maintain a healthy diet, and not use alcohol or other drugs.
If you are still unable to get sleep, there are many over the counter or prescription medications that may help. Most over the counter sleep aids contain Diphenhydramine (benadryl).

In brief: Sleep hygeine

Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Kevin Olson

In brief: Melatonin

Take 2-3 mg of melatonin over the counter is a reasonable and affective sleep aid.
If not affective, see family physician. Most over the counter sleeping aids are just benadryl (diphenhydramine). Melatonin is a better choice.

In brief: Melatonin

Dr. Kevin Olson
Dr. Kevin Olson