I have trouble bending my knees or keeping them bent. What does this mean and what should I do about it?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Knee effusion likely

Knees that are swollen with fluid (effusion) are more difficult to bend since you cannot compress fluid contained within the closed space of your knee.
A bent knee decreases the overall volume of the knee joint, whereas a partially bent knee provides the most space (volume) for fluid to collect. If this is true, you likely cannot fully straighten your knees as well. Seek thorough knee examination.

In brief: Knee effusion likely

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Tonga Nfor