My daughter got stung by a jellyfish yesterday, how can I reduce the sting for her, thanks?

Dr. MANOHAR CHENCHUGALLA

In brief: Remove tentacles

Check for any evidence of tentacles attached to the skin and if present remove with a plastic object like credit card.
No rubbing as this may stimulate the stingers. Apply cool water for pain. Certain measures can be taken by a physician like Lidocaine baking soda or meattenderizers for the poision after evaluation depending on the need.

In brief: Remove tentacles

Dr. MANOHAR CHENCHUGALLA
Dr. MANOHAR CHENCHUGALLA

In brief: Meat tenderizer

While I worked ER in Galveston we always had plenty of Adolph's meat tenderizer around.
We would sprinkle the stuff over the wound and it neutralized the stinging enzymes.

In brief: Meat tenderizer

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine

In brief: Hot water

For next time: before doing anything with a jellyfish tenticle, inactivate the stingers with vinegar (do not wash with fresh water, or physically manipulate, as this will cause further envenomation).
Then wash with salt water. Once stingers are gone, hot water (hot tub hot) immersion of the stung limb can help break down the venom and reduce pain. Pain rx and anti-histamines can also help.

In brief: Hot water

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine