I heard a loud pop followed by pain in my knee. How important is it to seek medical attention?

Dr. Robert Levine
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Possible Injury

The pop could be a ligament tearing.
The pop and pain are a sign of a possible serious injury in your knee. You should have it evaluated to decrease the changes of long-term problems from an injury.

In brief: Possible Injury

The pop could be a ligament tearing.
Dr. Robert Levine
Dr. Robert Levine
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Seek attention now

Loud pops in knees that cause pain (and early swelling) are most worrisome for an acute ACL tear.
Other potential causes include meniscal or cartilage injuries, loose bodies and scar tissue. An expeditious medical evaluation is necessary to figure out your specific injury.

In brief: Seek attention now

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine