I just went running and got a huge blister. Should I leave it or put something on it or what?

Dr. Matthew Enna
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Either is fine

You can unroof the blister, or you can allow the skin to slough off on its own.
The most important thing is to consider your shoe wear, your socks, and your running technique. If you are getting blisters, something is amiss with one or more of the above. Make sure that you have a good pair of running shoes and socks that are appropriate for your gait. I am a runner, and asics are my favorites.

In brief: Either is fine

Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry

In brief: Leave it alone

I would recommend that you don't not take the skin off the blister. The skin is your best dressing.
The fluid in the blister is sterile, by opening it, you can introduce bacteria. If you need to drain it for relief, do it sterilely, then place a compression dressing on it. It will impove over several days to weeks. Dr l.

In brief: Leave it alone

Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine