Is laughing gas used in periodontics?

It can be. Laughing gas (also known as sweet air and nitrous oxide\oxygen analgesia) is a method that we as dentists find relaxes the patient, gets your mind off what we doing, dulls your senses and therefore allows you to feel less and also seems to make the time past more quickly. It can and is used for all forms of dentistry in both children and adults. Most patients love it, a few don't.
Yes. As well as other areas of dentistry. It is very safe to use as long as your not pregnant.
yes. Laughing gas can be used in virtually any procedure under proper doctor supervision.
Yes. It is also used in all aspects of dentistry. It relaxes and decreases pain , hence is an analgesic. Usually local anesthetic still needs to be used. In higher doses or when used for long procedures it can cause nausea and vomiting .
Possibly, But..... If the periodontal treatment is for surgery of the upper front teeth region, your dentist or periodontist may not use laughing gas (n2o) because the breathing piece that goes over your nose may prevent the surgeon from having full access to that area to be treated thereby compromising the treatment and result.