I walk 30 minutes each way to the train station. Will this really wear away at my knees over several years?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Walking always great

In general, walking is always a terrific aerobic exercise that we should all do more of each day.
Your overall health and specifically the health of your heart and lungs will be served well with a sound walking regimen. Walking is consider a lower impact aerobic exercise as compared to jogging, running and playing hard court sports such as basketball. Keep up the good work!

In brief: Walking always great

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Matthew Enna
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

There is no solid evidence that I am aware of that shows that exercise of any sort increases the risk of arthritis.
Arthritis can be caused by trauma to a joint - such as a fracture involving a joint surface. Obesity also can cause arthritis because the excess weight literally crushes the cartilage cells. All the more reason to stay in shape!

In brief: No

Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine