What causes nighttime leg cramps that result in extremly painful temporary contractures called?

No definite answer. Night time leg cramps are very common especially in middle aged folks and more so in the elderly. There has been no cause documented. Mineral deficiency is debatable as there's no proven relief from use of magnesium that is advertised as anti-cramp remedy. Quinine had worked the best until it was pulled off the market a few years ago.
# of things. Venous incompetence (leaky vein valves) is one of the causes many are not familiar with. Abnormalities in blood minerals (potassium, calcium, magnesium), dehydration, tired muscles from exercise and /or prolonged standing. Seek help of phlebologist (vein doctor) who can help you.