How long does it take for you to feel a difference when using a cpap machine for sleep apnea?

Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: Depends
It depends. Some people feel an immediate effect, others take time.
It does depend on how severe the apnea is too. Continue to use CPAP and follow up with your sleep physican for compliance and to make sure the pressure is adequate to treat your apnea.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Can be immediate
Many of my patients tell me the first time they used CPAP they woke up the next morning feeling better than they had in years.

In brief: Can be immediate
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Varies
For some it is immediate and for others over a week or two.
Is one does not note benefit consider the following. Is the diagnosis correct or was it CPAP given for mildly elevated ahi on a sleep test? Are there any problems with fit or comfort that may preclude a great result? Is there sufficient sleep or is one not sleeping long enough? See your sleep physician for initial followup visit...

In brief: Varies
Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz
Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz
In brief: Depends
An adjustment period usually takes place when first getting used to a CPAP machine or one of its other varieties.
It can take awhile or you may never get used to it. Be patient and also focus on lifestyle changes that can also help.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine