How long does it take for you to feel a difference when using a cpap machine for sleep apnea?

Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Depends

It depends. Some people feel an immediate effect, others take time.
It does depend on how severe the apnea is too. Continue to use CPAP and follow up with your sleep physican for compliance and to make sure the pressure is adequate to treat your apnea.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Can be immediate

Many of my patients tell me the first time they used CPAP they woke up the next morning feeling better than they had in years.

In brief: Can be immediate

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Varies

For some it is immediate and for others over a week or two.
Is one does not note benefit consider the following. Is the diagnosis correct or was it CPAP given for mildly elevated ahi on a sleep test? Are there any problems with fit or comfort that may preclude a great result? Is there sufficient sleep or is one not sleeping long enough? See your sleep physician for initial followup visit...

In brief: Varies

Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz
Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz

In brief: Depends

An adjustment period usually takes place when first getting used to a CPAP machine or one of its other varieties.
It can take awhile or you may never get used to it. Be patient and also focus on lifestyle changes that can also help.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Eric Weisman