I have a sleep disorder and have been taking Ambien (zolpidem) to help me fall asleep. I want to get off these pills.?

Ambien (zolpidem) You and your doctor can work on a plan to taper and come off while practicing the sleep hygiene techniques.
Ambien (zolpidem) dependence. Dependence can occur with long-term use so that stopping it suddenly can seriously affect the ability to get to sleep.How (or whether) to taper Ambien (zolpidem) depends on the nature of your sleep disorder, so specific instructions really do need to come from the prescribing physician. One way: dose is decreased to 5mg daily as tolerated then a "drug holiday" once weekly, then twice weekly, etc. As tolerated.