I have a sleep disorder and have been taking Ambien (zolpidem) to help me fall asleep. I want to get off these pills.?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Ambien (zolpidem)

You and your doctor can work on a plan to taper and come off while practicing the sleep hygiene techniques.

In brief: Ambien (zolpidem)

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Ambien (zolpidem) dependence

Dependence can occur with long-term use so that stopping it suddenly can seriously affect the ability to get to sleep.
How (or whether) to taper Ambien (zolpidem) depends on the nature of your sleep disorder, so specific instructions really do need to come from the prescribing physician. One way: dose is decreased to 5mg daily as tolerated then a "drug holiday" once weekly, then twice weekly, etc. As tolerated.

In brief: Ambien (zolpidem) dependence

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine