I can't afford a cpap machine right now. Are there any other alternatives that help with sleep apnea?

A few other options. Some companies have patient assistance programs that can help. Alternatives do include dental devices which are billed under your medical insurance. Ent consultation may yield some help with medications or possible surgical options. Avoid sleeping on your back by using wedge pillow or a tennis ball sown into a pocket on the back of your shirt. Weight loss is always beneficial in sleep apnea.
Perhaps. Shop around. Some CPAP distributors may cut a deal. There are used CPAP devices online. Oral appliances can be good for some but for best results a custom-made appliances are used (expensive). Gradual weight loss if appropriate can help some people. Sleeping on side using a positioning pillow/shirt/belt may help some.
YES . Oral appliances for sleep apnea are very excellent devices for snoring and mild sleep apnea. Moderate or severe sa should really be dealt with by the "gold standard" which is the CPAP machine or one of its many varieties. If the person cannot tolerate the cpap, claustrophobic or just plain hates it, they should wear a mouthpiece then. Doing nothing can be a death sentence. Change lifestyle too.
Oral Appliances. According to 2006 american academy of sleep medicine practice parameters, oral appliances are indicated for use in patients with mild or moderate obstructive sleep apnea who prefer them over CPAP and should be completed by a dentist with advanced training in sleep medicine.
Don't sleep on back! If you cannot afford/obtain a CPAP or dental device, ask your sleep physician if sleep position plays a role in your apnea. If so, a simple backpack/bookbag filled with towels and worn to bed will prevent you from sleeping comfortably on your back. Every apnea patients' spouse will tell you snoring is worse on your back! it's worked for me in a pinch when i've left my device at home. Give it a try.