Is melatonin good for sleep maitenence insomnia?

Periodic insomnia. Melatonin can help with sporadic insomnia. Many conditions can contribute to insomnia. Best idea is to see a psychiatrist to investigate your insomnia and its cause (s). A sleep study may even be needed. Then the best treatment plan can be developed with you.
Eval. I agree w dr. Pappas. If you need chronic meds it warrants evaluation. Use good sleep hygiene. 1. Keep a regular bedtime & wakening time (to include weekends). Get up the same time each day, regardless of what time you fell asleep. 2. Make a regular, relaxing bedtime routine. Relaxing rituals prior to bedtime may include a warm bath or shower, aroma therapy, reading, or listening to gentle musi.