I had joint fusion of my ankle following a fracture of tibia and fibia. I've been cleared to walk again, but i'm in pain w/ every step; same as b4 surgery. Is this normal?

Dr. Jason Rudolph
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends

If the x-ray shows that he fusion is well healed then it is ok to begin walking.
If there is a question of a delayed fusion, then there is no benefit to walking on it.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

Assuming it has been some time since surgery, a successful fusion will lead to stiffness but should be pain free.
I would worry about a non-union, infection, or other injury that has not yet been treated. You should make sure your doctor knows this.

In brief: No

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine