I have pain in one of my ribs. When I yawn or breathe in, a sharp pain occurs. What is wrong?

David Miller
In brief: Many things
Pain in your ribs that is sharp when you breath could be a number of things.
Among the less serious complaints would be a muscle spasm, costochondritis (an inflammation of the cartilage in your ribs) or a cracked or broken rib. Rib pain can also herald more ominous things as well. Definitely worth getting checked out with your doc.

In brief: Many things
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. William Lizarraga
In brief: Pleuritis
Is a general term for pain when taking a deep breath and can be caused by a number of things, including infections and inflammation.
You should see your doctor about this to make sure it is not something serious. Anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen and naproxyn help with pleurisy. Costochondritis and trauma can also cause localised pain.

In brief: Pleuritis
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. Marsha Davis