My bf is 38. Has had sharp stabbing pain in left temple 3 dif. Times during exertion. Lasts <5min. Idiopathic stabbing headache? Migraine? Worse?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Exertional headache

The benign primary exertional headache is experienced as a sharp pain for a short duration upon exertion.
See an Orofacial Pain or headache specialist to eliminate structural or vascular cause. Indomethacin (25 to 150 mg) is the most commonly used treatment for primary exertional headaches.

In brief: Exertional headache

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Headache

I recommend consulting a neurologist for workup.

In brief: Headache

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Hard question

Based on the extent of provided information, it's really hard to arrive to a definite diagnosis.
We'd need to know other symptoms if present, circumstances, whether it was the first episode ever, or it's been recurring over time. Migraines usually last much longer than 5 minutes. Nerve pain can be sharp and usually short lived, so more likely in his case. I'd bet on some nerve irritation.

In brief: Hard question

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Eric Weisman