What are the chances of a brain tumor anaplastic astrocytoma gr 3 reaccuring in a child if the tumor was removed?

Dr. Manoj Reddy
Radiation Oncology

In brief: High

Unfortunately pediatric anaplastic astrocytoma (grade 3 glioma) has high recurrence rates.
Degree of resection does impact prognosis. However, those with grade 3 astrocytoma tend to have pfs(progression free survival) of 40 to 50% even with adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation.

In brief: High

Dr. Manoj Reddy
Dr. Manoj Reddy
Dr. Jeffrey Buchsbaum
It can be 50%...what you want is the best adjuvant therapy: radiation and chemotherapy. I am a believer in using protons in children to avoid as much normal tissue as possible - I have access to both regular x-rays (IMRT/VMAT) and protons and the latter are far superior in almost all cases. Gamma Knife is not something I use for gliomas like this for a number of important reasons.
Dr. Jeffrey Buchsbaum
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Moderately high.

It can be 50%...What you want is the best adjuvant therapy: radiation and chemotherapy.
I am a believer in using protons in children to avoid as much normal tissue as possible - I have access to both regular x-rays (imrt/vmat) and protons and the latter are far superior in almost all cases. Gamma knife is not something I use for gliomas like this for a number of important reasons.

In brief: Moderately high.

Dr. Jeffrey Buchsbaum
Dr. Jeffrey Buchsbaum
Dr. Jonathan Jassey