How do I tell my friends I have schizophrenia and am going to stay in a psychiatric hospital?

Dr. David Hunter
In brief: Unashamed
Help educate your friends about mental illness in general and schizophrenia in particular. Hospitalization is a time when your true friends should rally around you.
Any friend who would abandon you during a difficult time was not a friend to begin with. Elimination of the stigma of mental illness will happen one relationship at a time. Be strong and unashamed and your good friends will as well.

In brief: Unashamed
Dr. David Hunter
Dr. David Hunter
Dr. Carolina Klein
In brief: Consider NAMI
I completely agree with dr. Miller. Right now, you should focus on your health and your recovery, before starting to include your significant others into the process.
However, once you are at that stage, you will find that a lot of people struggle with that same question. Nami is an organization that focuses precisely on issues like this one, and they have branches all over the country.

In brief: Consider NAMI
Dr. Carolina Klein
Dr. Carolina Klein
Dr. Emmett Miller
In brief: Carefully
Tell only your best friends.
Much stigma around "schizophrenia", and there is no need for people to know the details. Simply saying you have a "condition" that you were born with, and that has just begun to express itself, may work. Say it is a neurological condition and that you will be discovering what medication will work best, and thus need to spend a while in the hospital.

In brief: Carefully
Tell only your best friends.
Dr. Emmett Miller
Dr. Emmett Miller
Dr. Donald Hazlett
I would add that being totally honest with one's self is important also. Without personal honesty and understanding as completely as one can their own illness, it is much harder to deal with explaining it to others. Family is crucial here because they are going to have to explain the situation to others and everyone has to be on the same home page. Share only what others "Need" to know.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: Why do you need to?
You could say nothing or you could tell them you need extra help at a hospital right now.
Sometimes less is more.

In brief: Why do you need to?
Sometimes less is more.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: Psychiatry Admission
I am not sure that there is one "right" way to handle this.
I don't think that you need to feel obligated to share confidential health information. However, your friends can be a valuable support. I would use discretion. Share what you are comfortable with - with whom you are comfortable. Insure that you trust that an individual will maintain your privacy before sharing personal info.

In brief: Psychiatry Admission
Dr. Daryl Tanski
In brief: Depends
If they are truly friends then one would expect them to be supportive during a time of need.
Others may need to know little to nothing about your healthcare. What to disclose to whom is an individual decision.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. Aaron Ament
In brief: TELL
Tell them you need to get your thoughts and feelings together and youre going to the hospital to pull together and get stable.
It takes courage to tell them but if you dont you leave them to worry and not know what to think. Better they should hear from you than make bad guesses. Real friends will remmain friends when youre out.

In brief: TELL
Dr. Aaron Ament
Dr. Aaron Ament
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Schizophrenia
Honesty is vital in any friendship, plus they are your support system.

In brief: Schizophrenia
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Schizophrenia
In general, i would say that it really no one's business about having schizophrenia.
In fact, i suggest to many of my patients, that they say they had to go to the hospital because of problems with headaches, and then just leave it at that. It is very important for you to stay on the medication that is prescribed, so your problems can stay under good control. Good luck.

In brief: Schizophrenia
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine