I want to know what is the difference between clinical depression that needs treating, and just regularly being depressed?

Dr. Kevin Nasky
In brief: Severity/functioning
Depressed mood is a normal part of life.
It becomes a disorder when it lasts abnormally long (far outlives the depressing life event or circumstances) or when it becomes so severe that it affects your level of functioning (work, relationships) or affects your health (can't sleep, low energy, etc.) see a doctor and discuss what you're going through to get an accurate diagnosis.

In brief: Severity/functioning
Dr. Kevin Nasky
Dr. Kevin Nasky
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Different severity
Depression is a mood disorder that can interfere with the pleasure of life experiences.
Clinical depression is a more severe form which interferes with a person's ability to function properly in life activities.

In brief: Different severity
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Dheeraj Raina
In brief: Functioning is key
If the mood is affecting you ability to function as a member of your family or at work, then it may be clinical depression.
Another way to distinguish the 2 is - if nothing, no good event or news improves your mood even transiently, it may be a sign of clinical depression.

In brief: Functioning is key
Dr. Dheeraj Raina
Dr. Dheeraj Raina
Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: A thin line
I would be concerned if you are depressed, period! please get in to see your pcp, mental health professional or qualified person to help you deal with either one.
This can be treated and you can feel better. Don't delay! go for help now.

In brief: A thin line
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Donald Hazlett
I would add that how much the depression affects daily living is a good Indicator of clinical versus what some people refer to as "normal" depression. Significant impairment warrants medical evaluation, certainly any thoughts of death or dying that includes suicidal thoughts needs Psychiatric intervention.If there is any question of self harm, help should be sought immediately.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine