Why might it be that sometimes when someone is abused for an extended period, they form an attachment to the abusers?

Dr. Donald Hazlett

In brief: Stockholm Syndrome

Research that syndrome.
It can answer a lot of your questions. It's fairly easy to describe what happens but just exactly why has several possible answers. Certainly chronic abuse is more likely to cause the attachment. I believe that in most cases it is a way for those abused to try to win over the abuser for their own safety and survival or safety and survival of those they love in the situation.

In brief: Stockholm Syndrome

Research that syndrome.
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Pamela Pappas
"Complex PTSD" is another possibility -- Dr. Judith Herman has written a great deal about it.
Dr. Bassam Amawi

In brief: Tics course and comp

In the majority , chronic, with partial remission of sx in early adult years.
.May minority may experience full remission; however, tics generally reappear , perhaps afternoon monhs or years.

In brief: Tics course and comp

Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Jane Van Dis