I'm very unhappy with my dentist and was wondering, what sort of hygienic things a dentist is supposed to do?

In brief: OSHA Standards

There are standards for cleanliness between and during patient visits.
The dentist must follow the national osha standards, and use universal precautions in treating patients. These standards involve sterilization techniques, and clinically clean operatories. It also involves gloves, masks, & eye protection for practioners & more...

In brief: OSHA Standards

Dr. Marguerite Myers
Dr. Marguerite Myers
Dr. Hans Reinemer
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Be Clean!

If, by hygienic, you are referring to how the dentist practices infection control, masks, protective eyewear are considered standard these days.
The operatories should be disinfected between patients. The instruments should be thoroughly cleansed and sterilized after each use. I am never offended if patients want to understand or see my daily procedures for such steps. Ask about their procedures.

In brief: Be Clean!

Dr. Hans Reinemer
Dr. Hans Reinemer
Dr. George Ayoub
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: It depends

If he has a hygenist then he can diagnose the kind of cleaning and any work needed if you are not happy , you can get a second opinion.

In brief: It depends

Dr. George Ayoub
Dr. George Ayoub
Dr. Marsha Davis