What can I do about my lower back pain without having to go to the chiropractor all the time?

Get a proper answer. Chiropractors do not diagnose but merely treat with deep massage based upon an outmoded theory of disease causation. The deep massage can sometimes temporarily relieve pain, but cannot treat the cause nor cure the condition. If you are going repeatedly to a chiro, then you have confirmed this understanding. For chronic pain or dysfunction, see your orthopedic specialist soon.
Posture, core. Learn about and practice good posture, body mechanics, lifting techniques. Strengthen your core muscles (glutes, abs, obliques, back muscles), and stretch key tight muscles, like your hamstrings.
Home exercises. Generally speaking a daily home exercise program, ice and heat and a healthy lifestyle including keeping your weight under control can help. Ask your doctor to give you information on a home exercise program.
Get a firm diagnosis. If you need chronic chiro treatments then there may a more significant mechanical injury to the discs or facet joints. You need a specific diagnosis and consultation with a spine specialist to advise about more effective treatments.