I got blood taken yesterday and now there's a big bruise in the spot it was taken from, should I worry?

Dr. Thomas Ruma
Pathology
In brief: Probably not
A bruise in the area of the spot where blood was taken is frequently seen.
It occurs because the blood has leaked out into the surrounding tissues near the vein that was used. It occurs because there was not sufficient pressure put on the area for a long enough time for the blood to clot so it won't leak out. Or, you may have recently taken Aspirin and your blood does not want to clot quickly.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Thomas Ruma
Dr. Thomas Ruma
In brief: No
Sometimes there is bleeding around the site of a bood draw.
It will turn different colors while healing. The ecchymosis can be larger when donating blood because the needle is larger: 16 vs 23 gauge.

In brief: No
Dr. Lester Thompson
Dr. Lester Thompson
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
In brief: Blood draw.
No. It will pass.

In brief: Blood draw.
No. It will pass.
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine