How can coffee with cream and aspertane ( equal brand sweetener ) affect a blood test for diabetes?

Dr. Andrew Malinchak

In brief: Aspartame

It doesn't. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener which has no calories and does not raise the blood sugar.
It also does not get broken down by the body and gets stored in the liver. Safer and natural sweetener alternatives are agave and stevia. Stevia has no calories and will not raise blood sugar. Agave has a low glycemic index and will raise blood sugar slowly. Both taste great--try them!

In brief: Aspartame

Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Thomas Ruma
Pathology

In brief: No

Paige, when we are testing for diabetes, the exact substance we are testing for is called glucose.
We do not test for aspartame and so I do not believe it will affect your testing for diabetes.

In brief: No

Dr. Thomas Ruma
Dr. Thomas Ruma
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Yes.

The cream may have lactose in it, which is converted to glucose by the body and show a high reading for glucose.
The test is fasting for a reason. Please repeat the test with an appropriate fast.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Pathology

In brief: It doesn't

The stress of the needle alters it far more.

In brief: It doesn't

Dr. Thomas Ruma
Pathology

In brief: No

In brief: No

Dr. Thomas Ruma
Dr. Thomas Ruma
Pathology

In brief: No coffee

If you are planning to get a blood test for glucose, you should be fasting and not have coffee with or without cream. Aspartame per se may not affect blood glucose.

In brief: No coffee

Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Respect to disagree w/ my colleague. Black coffee should be fine for a fasting test, as would be water.
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine