How can a malocclusion cause chipped teeth?

In brief: Parafunctional force

Teeth that do not meet harmoniously place excess forces on edges that cannot withstand the force, so they chip.

In brief: Parafunctional force

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Here's how

Even though tooth enamel is one of the hardest natural substances known, if enough force is placed on a tooth, it can break.
Cavities, existing fillings, & worn teeth which thins their edges, etc., all increase the chance of these chips happening. The better the bite, the more the teeth share the load, and conversely, the more uneven the bite, the greater the chance of wear and tear and chips.

In brief: Here's how

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
2 comments
Dr. Robert Wilkoff
Good explaination!
Dr. Gary Sandler
Thanks, I try.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Stress

I concur with dr. Davantzis' answer. If teeth are crooked untoward forces are placed on the teeth and the supporting bone/gum complex.
If you have a malocclusion see an orthodontic specialist for an evaluation. The orthodontist can best direct resolution of your malocclusion.

In brief: Stress

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. David Ostreicher
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: BANGING!

Normally, upper and lower teeth "interdigitate" where the ridges(cusps) on the upper rest in the valleys (fossa) of the lower. Some malocclusions cause the cuspsof the upper to bang into the fossa of the lower (or visa versa) which could certainly chip your teeth.

In brief: BANGING!

Dr. David Ostreicher
Dr. David Ostreicher
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Unlikely

That your bite, by itself, caused your teeth to 'chip':.
However, teeth out of proper position can push on and impact other teeth. Also, an edge-to-edge bite can wear teeth down. I would suggest you visit an orthodontist to discuss further.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin