How good are steroid injections compared to surgery for degenerative discs in the spine?

Great option. I recommend patients try a series of 1-3 lumbar or cervical epidural steroid injections for back or neck pain from disc degeneration. This change in your disc is normal after age 16 but can become very painful. Aggravating activities include bending, twisting, overhead lifting, sguats with weights, running and jumping. The injections should make your pain symptoms progressively better for 6 mos.
Best for leg pain. If the majority of the pain is in the back they are less effective than if the majority of pain goes down the leg (sciatica). Make sure you do injections with qualified specialists to minimize the risks.