How good are steroid injections compared to surgery for degenerative discs in the spine?

Dr. Kevin Teal
Neurosurgery
In brief: Great option
I recommend patients try a series of 1-3 lumbar or cervical epidural steroid injections for back or neck pain from disc degeneration.
This change in your disc is normal after age 16 but can become very painful. Aggravating activities include bending, twisting, overhead lifting, sguats with weights, running and jumping. The injections should make your pain symptoms progressively better for 6 mos.

In brief: Great option
Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. Paul Slosar
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Best for leg pain
If the majority of the pain is in the back they are less effective than if the majority of pain goes down the leg (sciatica).
Make sure you do injections with qualified specialists to minimize the risks.

In brief: Best for leg pain
Dr. Paul Slosar
Dr. Paul Slosar
Dr. David Rosenfeld
The proper injection for DDD of the spine are facet blocks followed by RF ablation of the median branch nerve.
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery