I was sexually molested when i was around 11 or 12, will the therapist still make me go to the police?

Dr. Ilona Gravers
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Reporting

If you are still under the age of 18, the therapist will be required to report the abue.
If you are an adult, then it will be your choice whether to press charges or not. That can be discussed with your therapist.

In brief: Reporting

Dr. Ilona Gravers
Dr. Ilona Gravers
2 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Thank you, Dr. Gravers. The patient's note indicated she is 32 now.
Dr. Chevies Newman
Good answer
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Therapist focus

I'm so sorry you had this childhood experience.
Your therapist's focus will be your needs and issues. Since you're an adult s/he's not legally required to report it, nor can s/he "make" you go to the police. Therapists want to understand what you want, what symptoms are still bothering you, and to help you resolve these. For some (not all), confronting their perpetrators is a part of healing.

In brief: Therapist focus

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Adam Levy