I get charlie horses in the middle of the night. Can I make them go away without gettin gout of bed?

Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Prevention

A few minutes of stretching exercises or riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes before going to bed can prevent the cramps from coming on.
Keeping well hydrated and avoiding alcohol/caffeine help. Cramps can be a sign of low potassium and magnesium, which are a side effect of some medications such as diuretics. If you get cramps regularly, it is worthwhile getting checked out.

In brief: Prevention

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Try magnesium

There are a few different reasons why one can get cramps at night.
I have found magnesium supplements taken before bedtime to be highly effective. It is worth a try.

In brief: Try magnesium

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine