How long will it take for my sprained thumb to heal and what can I do to make it heal faster or feel better?

Dr. Matthew Enna
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It depends

Where does your thumb hurt? How did you injure it? There are many factors that go into how long it will take for your thumb to feel better. Without specifically knowing your diagnosis, it is hard to say how long it will take to heal, or even if it will heal.
I would suggest that you see a hand surgeon to have your thumb examined.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. David Motoki
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Sprained Thumb

In general an injured thumb should be evaluated to rule out torn ligaments, joint damage and fractures which can compromise function of the thumb if not properly treated.
See a sports medicine doctor or a hand surgeon.

In brief: Sprained Thumb

Dr. David Motoki
Dr. David Motoki
Dr. Peter Ihle
if properly treated, it has it's own programed 4 healing. listen 2 Ur ortho/hand guy2 the T.
Dr. Barry Cohen
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Depends on

Type of sprain.
Also depends on if there is ligament injury, such as in gamekeepers thumb. Start with an xray! see a hand specialist use a thumb splint (otc) till you do.

In brief: Depends on

Type of sprain.
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine