How do I determine (without an X-ray machine) if I have broken or dislocated the small toe on my right foot?

Dr. Matthew Enna
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It can be difficult

Without an x-ray, you may not be able to diagnose a fracture.
Some fractures are obvious without an x-ray but some are not. Dislocations often times are easier to diagnose without an x-ray but you won't necessarily be able to diagnose a toe dislocation without an x-ray. In short, if you are concerned about the possibility of a toe fracture or dislocation, see an orthopaedic doctor and get x-rays.

In brief: It can be difficult

Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry

In brief: Misalignment

If you have misalignment of the toe, most likely it is fractured or dislocated.
See your local foot specialist for an evaluation. Failure of treatment can lead to chronic problems. Dr l.

In brief: Misalignment

Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine