How do I determine (without an X-ray machine) if I have broken or dislocated the small toe on my right foot?

Dr. Matthew Enna
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: It can be difficult
Without an x-ray, you may not be able to diagnose a fracture.
Some fractures are obvious without an x-ray but some are not. Dislocations often times are easier to diagnose without an x-ray but you won't necessarily be able to diagnose a toe dislocation without an x-ray. In short, if you are concerned about the possibility of a toe fracture or dislocation, see an orthopaedic doctor and get x-rays.

In brief: It can be difficult
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry
In brief: Misalignment
If you have misalignment of the toe, most likely it is fractured or dislocated.
See your local foot specialist for an evaluation. Failure of treatment can lead to chronic problems. Dr l.

In brief: Misalignment
Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine