Can a 14 year old boy be put to sleep by a mask and not an IV for an operation?

Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: See below

Mask induction is not the preferred method of induction for anyone.
That being said we tend to do it fairly frequently. With a cooperative patient the procedure is fairly simple. Talk to your anesthesiologist and see what they say.

In brief: See below

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard

In brief: I wouldn't

If a kid needs anesthesia for an operation, you are placing that kid in a different physiologic state.
You must have IV access to provide emergency medications during the procedure. If the procedure is one that can be done with light sedation (brief & simple), it may not be needed.

In brief: I wouldn't

Dr. Cindy Juster