My contact lens prescription is different from my glasses prescription. Is it supposed to be like that?

Dr. Damien Luviano
Ophthalmology

The optical principle is lens effectivity.
As any lens is moved away from your eye it becomes inherently more powerful (positive) the inverse is also true, as a lens is moved to eye, becomes weaker (negative). So contacts and glasses are adjusted accordingly only if it will affect the final clinical outcome.

Dr. Damien Luviano
Dr. Damien Luviano
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology

Especially if you are very nearsighted or farsighted, your contact lens and glasses should have different prescriptions.
The optics behind this phenomenon cannot be explained in this short space, but the difference between glasses and contacts is always greater with larger prescriptions. As long as you see well with both, they are probably right for you.

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz