I have been sick, and now both of my eyes are blood shot red, what do I do to get get rid of the red eye?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

In brief: Eye exam

Conjunctivitis is on the differential.
It's best to get red eyes checked out, especially if symptomatic (discomfort, blurred vision, discharge, etc.).

In brief: Eye exam

Conjunctivitis is on the differential.
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Paul Holmwood
blood shot eyes could also refer to small or large hemorrhages under the clear membrane of the eye which is layered over the white of the eye . this can occur from infections (adenovirus or strep), or can occur from coughing, sneezing or vomiting from an upper airway or upper gastrointestinal illness.
Dr. Gary Wortz
Ophthalmology

In brief: It could be a virus

If your sickness was a "cold" or upper respiratory tract infection, it is possible that the same infectious virus is now causing "pink eye".
Cool compresses, and artificial tears can help. If it doesn't resolve within a week or if you start to get blurry vision which happens rarely, you should seek care.

In brief: It could be a virus

Dr. Gary Wortz
Dr. Gary Wortz
Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology

In brief: Red eyes

Redness of the eyes is common.
If you have crusting, use warm compresses. The addition of tear drops will also likely help.

In brief: Red eyes

Redness of the eyes is common.
Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. Mark Golden