What do you get your mom for mother's day when she is dieing in a hospital from terminal cancer?

Dr. Shelby Terstriep

In brief: Your presence

Your presence, your touch.
Look at picture albums together, sing her favorite songs or bring in music, tell her your favorite memories growing up, decorate her room. My heart goes out to you.

In brief: Your presence

Your presence, your touch.
Dr. Shelby Terstriep
Dr. Shelby Terstriep
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Yourself

I'm sure your mother would like nothing more than to spend time with you.
You are the most precious gift of all. Spend time with her, reassure her, love her. Talk about things you have done together, and tell her what she has taught you that you will carry throughout your life. Ask her how you can help her most during this time. And please take care of yourself! you need love and support too!

In brief: Yourself

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. David Utzschneider
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Your advocacy

Does she have to stay in the hospital? Where would she like to spend her time? Help your mom review the practical benefits/risks/downsides of the treatments being given in the hospital.
Maximize her choices. Seek to build family consensus. Get the physician's number and review the plan daily to see what the options are.

In brief: Your advocacy

Dr. David Utzschneider
Dr. David Utzschneider
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: LOVE

Be there for her. Bring others to provide for a positive environment.
Celebrate moments in the past with photos, items from her/your home. Consider talking to the hospital chaplain for more ideas (regardless of faith orientation).

In brief: LOVE

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine