How many years do you have to go before an oncologist will release you back to your own doctor?

Dr. Thomas Chen

In brief: It depends

It depends on the type of cancer and stage.
Oncologists can help monitor for recurrence and side-effects from treatment. I usually work with my referring doctors and patients to mutually determine the appropriate length of followup.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: It depends

It depends on the type of cancer you had, and how comfortable your oncologist and your primary doctor are with having your pcp do your follow-up.
Oncologists are getting better at providing "survivorship" plans that outline what care and tests you might need. In general, i like to get patients back to their primary care doctors as soon as possible so we can follow you together for awhile!

In brief: It depends

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Generally 5 years

Generally speaking most cancers require oncology follow up for approx 5 years per guidelines.
However, a well rounded survivorship plan includes early follow up with the primary medical team while staying in touch with an oncology support group, dietitian, socail worker, patient navigator, etc.

In brief: Generally 5 years

Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Dr. Jacob Bitran

In brief: 5 to 10 years

The usual follow up is 5 to10 years.

In brief: 5 to 10 years

The usual follow up is 5 to10 years.
Dr. Jacob Bitran
Dr. Jacob Bitran
Dr. Edward Gold

In brief: It depends

It depends upon the type of cancer.

In brief: It depends

It depends upon the type of cancer.
Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine