I am 33 weeks pregnant. Is it safe to take Robitussin-DM max? I ave a runny nose and cough/congestion. When i cough the right side of my torso hurts.

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: No

Robitussin dm (guaifenesin and dextromethorphan) contains alcohol, which while it is not in a large amount, can be significant if you are taking even recommended doses every 4 hours or so.
There is no amount of alcohol considered safe in pregnancy, so i would ask your pharmacist for an alcohol-free cough medication safe in pregnancy. The other stuff in it are dextromethorphan and antihistamines. Your OB is your first/best advisor.

In brief: No

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Steven Seres