If you had breast cancer and took chemo can you tan in a tanning bed without harming yourself?

Ben Ferguson
Surgery

In brief: No.

Due to skin cancer risks of tanning beds, I am in agreement with ben ferguson who states that there is no exposure to tanning beds that is safe or harmless, chemo or no chemo.

In brief: No.

Ben Ferguson
Ben Ferguson
Answer assisted by Ben Ferguson, Medical Student
Dr. Paul Harper
Remember the chemo is meant to kill breast cancer cells. After the medicine is stopped it goes away and has no further effect on the body. If new cancer cells start from being in a tanning bed the chemo is no longer there to kill the cells. It seems kind of silly to me to take chemo to get rid of cancer and then start an activity that causes cancer.
Dr. Lara Devgan
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

Tanning is not safe and is not recommended for anyone.
It increases the risk of skin cancer and accelerates facial and body aging. Sunscreen with titanium and zinc can help protect you from uva and uvb rays, but avoiding sun exposure is best. Spray tanning and tanning lotions are a reasonable alternative to achieve a bronzed look, but they may not be safe for pregnant/ lactating women.

In brief: No

Dr. Lara Devgan
Dr. Lara Devgan
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

In brief: No

Cancer doctors do not recommend tanning booths or sun tanning because there is the risk of causing skin cancer many years later. The worst one being melanoma.
Most chemo drugs would allow you to tan if you wanted, however there are some that sensitize the skin and you need to ask your medical oncologist. I don't recommend tanning for anybody.

In brief: No

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery