As a christian, if i'm diagnosed with cancer and choose not to seek treatment is that suicide?

Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: We are given choices
One of the most important choices is what we do with our lives.
Unfortunately most folks do not think about it until it is right in front of them. At that point there may not have been much thought put into it and at times we have no choice at all. To make the choice we need faith, family , friends and if medical, our physician.Trust your sources and you will make a right moral and ethical choice.

In brief: We are given choices
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
2 comments
Thank you, Dr. Hazlett, for this extremely simple yet utterly profound, and correct answer.
Agreed, and it is not suicide to decline treatment for a disease, regardless of one's religion.
Dr. Helmy Guirgis
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: It is not suicide
Gos is very democratic.
It is your choice. Life is a gift from the lord. As christian, have you prayed about your decision ? Is the cancer early, is it curable curable?

In brief: It is not suicide
Gos is very democratic.
Dr. Helmy Guirgis
Dr. Helmy Guirgis
Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology
In brief: I don't know, but...
In Jewish law, the Talmud forbids all acts that might hasten death.
However, Rabbi Moshe Isserles (Krakow, Poland, 16th cent.) in his commentary on the authoritative 16th-century Jewish law code the Shulhan Arukh, wrote, "If there is anything that causes a hindrance to the departure of the soul…it is permissible to remove [it] because there is no act involved, only removal of the impediment.”

In brief: I don't know, but...
Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Ask clergy.
As a physician, i feel very strongly that this goes beyond our areas of expertise.
The best that we can offer is information regarding risks vs. Benefits and probability of cure. It is a patient's fundamental right to have final say-so regarding accepting treatment.

In brief: Ask clergy.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
2 comments
Dr. Patrick Melder
As a Christian who happens to be a surgeon and I having had to inform patients that they have cancer: doing nothing is always an option (regardless of your faith). No matter your faith, if you have a diagnosis of cancer, a large support network is how you enter decisions like this. And yes, seeking the support and opinion of your pastor is crucial.
Dr. Donald Hazlett
We all have choices in life, not the least of which is life itself. Unfortunately the choice to live or die, the ultimate choice, is given little attention on a day to day basis and is often beyond our choosing. If it's a true choice face it with deep consideration. It is not only your right but it is your responsibility. Family can help and your physician can help to make the right decision.
Pathology
In brief: Not under the law
You'll have to ask your pastor whether your faith permits you to refuse treatment for a particular illness.
Common sense says it's wrong to ignore a cancer that's likely to be cured easily, giving you many more good years. I know no faith that requires that all possible treatments be used even though cure is unlikely / impossible, in preference to comfort measures only.

In brief: Not under the law
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care
In brief: Philosophers
That is probably a question for philosophers but my understanding of suicide is that you cause your own death.
If you get cancer you did nothing to cause that. If Christian you may even believe that it was gods will. Choosing not to treat CA is a perfectly rational medical decision if the treatment is hopeless. Make sure you have talked to your oncologist and are making an educated decision

In brief: Philosophers
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Usually no unless...
I believe the answer depends on the type and stage of cancer.
If it is a form of cancer that is diagnosed early and easily curable then one could argue that not treating is a passive form of suicide. However, if it is a more advanced cancer with a poor prognosis then not treating is a very reasonable option considering the side effects and lack of efficacy of most treatments for advanced cancer.

In brief: Usually no unless...
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Thank you, Dr. Baker, for your common sense. Some people in some cultures refuse cancer detection and treatment for superstitious reasons, even when it could be easily cured. Yet throwing huge amounts of money at treatments unlikely to produce much benefit is poor stewardship. A member of one of the decent faith communities will have strong support and the information to make good choices.
Dr. Kathleen Cullen
In brief: No please see below
I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis.
I am a christian also so i know that the lord will heal you... Either on earth or in heaven. You and your family of believers need to pray hard on how the lord chooses to heal you. If he pleases to heal you here you may need treatment, ..... If he is willing you home to himself, make amends with your family, be at peace, and know we will see you soon.

In brief: No please see below
Dr. Kathleen Cullen
Dr. Kathleen Cullen
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine