What can I do if my uncle died from pancreatic cancer. Does this mean my dad has a good chance of getting it?

Dr. Thomas Chen
In brief: Probably not
It depends on the type of pancreatic cancer.
The most common type (not the one steve jobs had) has a weak genetic link. A person with a first degree relative with pancreas cancer has only a modestly elevated risk of getting pancreas cancer.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Paul Zhang
But it is not uncommon to see :ordianry" pancreatic cancers in one family, so I will say you should be very cautious with any symptoms suggestive of pancreatic cancer.
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Unlikely
If your uncle is the only relation who has had pancreatic cancer, you are unlikely to be at a dramatically increased risk.
Make sure to get a complete family history of all your other relatives to make sure there are not any more pressing abnormalities.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine