Terminal cancer - will I know when i'm in my last few mins, or just go to sleep unaware then stop breathing?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: Probably not
It depends on the way your cancer progresses.
At the very end, the person usually goes into comatous stage, when he might hear something, but is usually unable to see or react. How quickly the comatous stage develops is hard to predict.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Either possible
I have been with many people when they die from cancer.
Some are asleep for days, then their breathing slows and finally stops. Others can become much more alert for a short time just before they die. Death is always an unknown. Most of my patients know when they are getting close to death. Hospice can help you and your family know better what to expect based on your condition.

In brief: Either possible
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine