Is it advisable not to get involved with a girl who has had breast cancer before for health reasons?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: No risk to you!
1 in 8 women get breast cancer.
If your partner has had breast cancer, there is no health risk to you. Women who have had breast cancer have strength, insight and perspective that other women may not have. But if you are not ready to love someone in sickness and in health, and support that person through something like cancer, you aren't ready for a serious relationship.

In brief: No risk to you!
1 in 8 women get breast cancer.
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Not Contagious
One misconception is that cancer is contagious.
This is false. There are no health related reasons one can not have a meaningful and serious relationship with a cancer survivor.

In brief: Not Contagious
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Only you can answer
Following treatment, the chance of breast cancer returning is quite variable but always a risk.
Many of my cancer patients tell me that living with this risk is more difficult than the treatment they endured. Cancer survivors need a very strong support system; if you are not up to that challenge, it is best to answer that now.

In brief: Only you can answer
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey