I had a partial hysterectomy 3 1/2 weeks ago. I have hypothyroidism also and take a really low does of synthroid (thyroxine). Can my thyroid change?

Dr. Yury Fayda

In brief: Probably not.

Removal of the uterus does not affect function of thyroid gland and should not change frequency of your testing.

In brief: Probably not.

Dr. Yury Fayda
Dr. Yury Fayda
Dr. Georgia Latham

In brief: Absolutely

Thyroid function changes frequently without any apparent reason.
You should have your thyroid function checked every 1-3 months when initially diagnosed, and then every 6-12 months if it appears stable. If it has been more than 3 months since your thyroid function was tested, you should probably have a test done now and repeated in 3 months or if you develop symptoms.

In brief: Absolutely

Dr. Georgia Latham
Dr. Georgia Latham
Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Hypothyroid

Have your doctor check your thyroid level and make changes to the dose as needed.

In brief: Hypothyroid

Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Dr. Jane Van Dis