I would be starting my chemo next week. Do you think it would be best for me to have my hair cut really short?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Maybe
If your chemotherapy regimen definitely causes hair loss, it's a good idea.
Once your hair starts falling out, it gets into everything. Think of a long- haired dog that suddenly starts shedding all of its hair. It's also less distressing to have short hair before you lose it all. Some of my patients have tried a mohawk for a few days! have fun with it!

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Michael Thompson
Highlighting above - ask IF you will get hair loss (alopecia). If not, you may not want to shave your head!
Dr. Helmy Guirgis
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: No,
Wait...Then...Decide..... It all depends on the chemo.....

In brief: No,
Dr. Helmy Guirgis
Dr. Helmy Guirgis
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care
In brief: Chemotherapy hair
You could do this, but you should ask more questions about the type and extent of the chemotherapy.
The doctors and nurses can help you get some idea of whether to expect hair loss or not. There are many patients who have been through this experience that can help your decision. Ask the oncology office about support groups.

In brief: Chemotherapy hair
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine