I would be starting my chemo next week. Do you think it would be best for me to have my hair cut really short?

Maybe. If your chemotherapy regimen definitely causes hair loss, it's a good idea. Once your hair starts falling out, it gets into everything. Think of a long- haired dog that suddenly starts shedding all of its hair. It's also less distressing to have short hair before you lose it all. Some of my patients have tried a mohawk for a few days! have fun with it!
Chemotherapy hair. You could do this, but you should ask more questions about the type and extent of the chemotherapy. The doctors and nurses can help you get some idea of whether to expect hair loss or not. There are many patients who have been through this experience that can help your decision. Ask the oncology office about support groups.