Is it true that an individual with asperger's is emotionally hypersensitive instead of having lack of empathy? If not, how could he/she feel anxiety?

Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: It depends

Persons with asperger's disorder can be hypersensitive to all different types of environmental stimuli, including another person showing a strong emotional state.
Reacting to a stimulus such as this does not necessarily mean the person with asperger's is feeling empathy. As far as feeling anxiety, there are many triggers for feeling anxious other than witnessing another person's distress.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Dr. Jeff Jacobs

In brief: Not the same state

Empathy and sensitivity are different states of mind/feeling.
Empathy is the capacity to feel within oneself the emotions of another-not know in a purely cognitive sense. Neither is it clear that someone who lacks the ability to process social cues lacks the capacity for empathy--the "input" is missing! but sociopaths can be very sensitive--about themselves.

In brief: Not the same state

Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: True

Patients with asperger's syndrome (a milder form on the spectrum of autism) certainly feel sensitively, perhaps overly so.
Through my treatments of many patients with the disorder, I have come to realize that there is a very real disconnect between feelings (happy, sad, anxious) and the way they facially express it. They "wear" a very neutral expression, whilst in reality they feel very strongly.

In brief: True

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Gregg L. Friedman MD Psychiatrist agrees
Dr. Eric Weisman