I pay the doctor/dentist for his opinion. I have my own ideas or follow-up #'s I want heard after I hear his. I must never ever do this, right?

What makes sense! When you consult with a doctor, if his/her opinion does not make sense you should seek out a second opinion. I am not sure what you are saying by the follow-up #'s that you would like to hear. If its dollars, don't look for the cheapest just find a doctor you can trust.
Question? I am not clear on what your question is. Can you please give us more details and be more specific on what you are asking. Thanks. If you are referring to the cost of a consultation, then you are seeking for advice and guidance. Each doctor sets a fee for that service based upon what he\she thinks is fair for their training, experience, time, knowledge and expertise.