Will a navicular stress fracture still heal if i 'walk' in my cam walker without flexing my ankle? It is so hard to deal with two kids on crutches.

Dr. Tania Turbay
Podiatry

In brief: Navicular fracture

It will heal because the cam walker has a rocker bottom sole wich helps keep the foot from completing a complete gait cycle.
With that said it will heal faster if you immobilize it completely. Any fracture takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks to heal with proper immobility.

In brief: Navicular fracture

Dr. Keyvan Ganz
Podiatry

In brief: Yes with precautions

You have to reduce the "stress" on the navicular by understanding how it fractured to begin with.
The talus which is the ball in the navicular socket jams into it by excessive pronation. Two tendons pull on it the tibialis anterior (from above) and posterior (from below). Make sure you have an orthotic in your camwalker boot to reduce these pressures.

In brief: Yes with precautions

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine