I am pregnant and my mum had bi-polar. What is the chance my unborn baby will inherit bi-polar?

Dr. Carlos Barrios
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: The known stats

From the literature: 35% chance if one parent has it.
75% if both parents have it. These are the probabilities. Decidedly less in your case, since not parent but grandparent. Keep in mind: more stressful environment will play a major role is pushing these probabilities forward / more stable environment is always protective against gene expression of any genetic vulnerability. Take care

In brief: The known stats

Dr. Carlos Barrios
Dr. Carlos Barrios
Dr. Roger Saint Laurent
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Studies demonstrate

That bipolar disorder does run in families but the risk is minimal.
When 1 parent has this diagnosis, the chances of the child having the illness is between 4 and 15%. When neither of the parents has the illness, the chances are 0 to 2%.

In brief: Studies demonstrate

Dr. Roger Saint Laurent
Dr. Roger Saint Laurent
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Gregg L. Friedman MD Psychiatrist agrees